Monday, April 22, 2013

Shock vs. Electrocution

We've all said it...

"OW! I just got electrocuted from touching that lightswitch!"

Truth be told?
No. You didn't.
Just the facts, friends.

My jack-of-all-trades fella has straightened out this ol' English teacher, for sure.

Turns out, the word electrocution means DEATH by electricity. So if you're able to complain about getting zapped, unless you're a moaning ghost with a message from the great've been shocked- not electrocuted.
In the event of an emergency, it's important to describe the situation using accurate terminology—and in order to maintain safety, it's vital to be able to properly interpret the wording of warning signs.

Although every good story probably hides a smidge of embellishment, the next time electricity passes through your body and leaves you to tell the tale, remember that using the wrong word can drastically change the meaning of what has transpired.
Most people can get down with a little added drama in their stories, but the difference between an electrical shock and fatal electrocution is cuh-raise-zee to confuse.

I feel pretty silly having erroneously reported that I've been electrocuted many times. Duh. Don't think so.

Special thanks to my man for straightening out my whack vocabulary.
Have a shockingly wonderful week, friends!

What words have you been using incorrectly without knowing?
XOXO From My Hearth to Yours

No comments: