Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Don't Let Your Doggies Eat THAT!

A few weeks ago, as I was popping a piece of gum out of its wrapping, it bounced out onto my kitchen floor. Not wasting a second, my Beast Dog snatched that sucker up, gave it a quick chew and swallowed.
Normally, I'd be elated that Ole' Stinkmouth was being proactive about his stankin' breath, but I cringed as I remembered reading an article in Dog Fancy magazine about xylitol, an ingredient in gum that can be deadly to the pooches.

I've learned that many of the "treats" I've seen people feed their doggies can be incredibly hazardous. So, after my xylitol scare, a phone call to the vet and my recent vigilance in keeping my daughters' dang raisins away from our dog, I figured it was time to share the info about some of the surprising NO NOs that we need to keep away from the mongrels.

The xylitol in gum, candy, toothpaste, and artificial sweeteners can cause a major drop in blood pressure and can cause liver failure. Ingesting even one small piece of gum is enough to cause a serious problem in a small dog. Yipes!
Don't give the doggies any of these NO NO foods, no matter how cute they try to be to persuade you!
If anyone spills a beer at your next party, for Pete's sake, do NOT let your dog clean up the mess. Alcohol can be incredibly toxic to your dog's liver. Again, the smaller the dog, the more serious it is to keep Rover on the wagon. It's never okay to let your dog consume alcoholic beverages.

Who knew that avocado could be a problem? Persin, a fungicidal toxin that is harmless to humans but dangerous for dog consumption, is found throughout the entire plant, seed, fruit and bark. We have an avocado plant in our home. Now we know to keep it out of Kaine-dog's reach.

Grapes, raisins and currants can cause vomiting and, in large quantities, kidney failure in canines. I've seen tons of people toss grapes to their dogs as treats. Bad idea! Toss out the dog biscuits instead.

Caffeine in chocolate, coffee, tea can cause heart palpitations, muscle tremors, rapid breathing and again, in excess, can be fatal. Be extra careful to keep your four-legged-friends out of the refreshments.
Beautiful Sweet Dutchess confections are for humans only! Keep the pooches away!
You might be used to giving a dog a bone, but avoid "real" bones from fish and meat, since they put your dog at risk of choking or suffering from internal lacerations. Dang. See what domestication does to a fella?

For dogs, onions and garlic are a problem in all forms (powdered, raw, cooked, dehydrated). Avoid giving your pet anything that contains these ingredients.

Only a handful of macadamia nuts has the potential to cause incredible sickness and can be fatal, especially if combined with chocolate. Save these treats for yourself!

Of course, there are many more foods to avoid when it comes to feeding your pets. Most of us have heard to avoid giving dogs dairy, raw eggs and chocolate, but for more thorough lists and information, check out this slideshow of the big NO foods for pets at WebMD and a great, printable list from Doctors Foster and Smith with food items to avoid feeding Fido and reasons why you should steer clear.

If your pooch does consume any of these ickies, make sure you have your veterinarian's number somewhere easily accessible, along with the number for an emergency clinic in case of an accident after your regular office hours.

Take good care of those lil' (or BIG) stinkers and fill em' up with lots of safe, healthy goodies this year!
Sending you and your barking beasts lots of love!

Have you ever had a health scare when your dog ate something funky? Never a fun event. 

XOXO From My Hearth to Yours

No comments: